Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pink - Just give me a reason

Right from the start
You were a thief
You stole my heart
And I your willing victim
I let you see the parts of me
That weren't all that pretty
And with every touch you fixed them

Now you've been talking in your sleep, oh, oh
Things you never say to me, oh, oh
Tell me that you've had enough
Of our love, our love

Just give me a reason
Just a little bit's enough
Just a second we're not broken just bent
And we can learn to love again
It's in the stars
It's been written in the scars on our hearts
We're not broken just bent
And we can learn to love again

I'm sorry I don't understand
Where all of this is coming from
I thought that we were fine
(Oh, we had everything)
Your head is running wild again
My dear we still have everythin'
And it's all in your mind
(Yeah, but this is happenin')

You've been havin' real bad dreams, oh, oh
You used to lie so close to me, oh, oh
There's nothing more than empty sheets
Between our love, our love
Oh, our love, our love

Just give me a reason
Just a little bit's enough
Just a second we're not broken just bent
And we can learn to love again
I never stopped
You're still written in the scars on my heart
You're not broken just bent
And we can learn to love again

Oh, tear ducts and rust
I'll fix it for us
We're collecting dust
But our love's enough
You're holding it in
You're pouring a drink
No nothing is as bad as it seems
We'll come clean


This song came up on the radio as I was driving to school this morning. This song really is an amazing message about how difficult relationships are – and nobody can escape that.  I like Pink because her music consistently declares the brokenness that results from the Fall and the shallowness of sin… and yet she doesn't know where to turn for something better and more lasting.  She resists the fairy-tale romance that seems to overflow our culture and drops a strong dose of reality: Relationships are difficult and painful because our brokenness complicates them. This song is filled with a deeply emotional and universal cry that is within all of us.  We know we’re broken.  We know relationships are hard and are often painful, yet we also know that they’re good and worth the effort. Love is messy because we’re bent and our hearts are scarred.  

However, no matter how much we try to straighter ourselves, we just can’t fix our brokenness or cover it up. It’s because we are dead in our sins and that’s why we are always crying out for life in the midst of our brokenness - a corpse can cry out for life, although it’s looking for life in all the wrong places.  When we say we are “broken” or “dead in our sins,” that doesn’t mean we literally don’t work and that we don’t cry out for freedom and wholeness.  It’s an acknowledgement that we aren't right, and we can’t fix ourselves. 
We're broken and so is the person we're trying to love. We get hurt, and we hurt others too. 

“We love because he first loved us” (1 John 4:19). We can learn to love again, but we need to confess that we are bent and broken.

"Love is patient, Love is kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud". True love is self-giving, not self-seeking. True love puts the needs of others first. This is what Christ did when He left Heaven and came down to earth for us. May we always try to be Christ-like.  May God open our hearts and minds to the true love He has for us, and may we always seek to love others like He loves us.



If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don’t love, I’m nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate.

 If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.

 If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.

~1 Corinthians 13:1-7


No comments: