Thursday, May 29, 2014

Matthew West - Forgiveness

This song isn't new, but everytime I listen to it it'd remind me of people who went through horrible tragedies, i.e. the death of an innocent child by a drunk driver, families that were broken by an addiction, betrayal, murderers, etc... I would pray for these people who have been completely devastated by these horrific things - and at the same time, I'd thank God for giving me so many blessings because I can call myself a "white girl" as far as tragedies go in my life.

This song came up on the radio and all of the sudden, it had a whole new meaning to me... I had just gotten done with my last class so I went in my car and decided to lie down for a few minutes.
I lay down, closed my eyes, and I tried not to think about anything. Just have some "me" time - to relax, to let go of anything holding me back. 
Then, I opened my eyes, looked up at the sky and was astounded by the view. It was then that I had a "click" moment... seeing the sky from a different angle made me realize I was missing the whole point. We look at the sky every day and that can be such a ordinary thing, but how often do you lie down to appreciate it for a few minutes?

In the same way, we often try to look at things from the same angle, and maybe that's why we can't find answers to our problems, we keep repeating our mistakes, or we keep being hurt or hurting others.
Then this song came on, and that was the angle I needed to see. This song spoke to me from the very first few lines.

Forgiving others is important, but most of all... forgiving yourself is essential because it sets you free so you can live your life again. It doesn't mean you feel regretful, it just means that even though you had the best intentions in mind, sometimes you fall down. Sometimes things are above you and all you can do is try. We have to understand we go through dark moments once in a while and we can't blame ourselves for feeling discouraged, down, or sad. Sometimes we feel scared, lonely... but we can't feel sorry for ourselves. The key word here is "to be ok" with the not-so-hot moments and embrace it; it's about understanding that we are humans, full of sin, and we will not soar every day - but we sure try, because that's what makes us stronger.

During these times, perhaps all we need is a hand to walk us through all of the mess. But sometimes we need to be away, far; take a deep breath, and just appreciate the sky; enjoy the view.



It’s the hardest thing to give away
And the last thing on your mind today
It always goes to those that don’t deserve

It’s the opposite of how you feel
When the pain they caused is just too real
It takes everything you have just to say the word…

Forgiveness
Forgiveness

It flies in the face of all your pride
It moves away the mad inside
It’s always anger’s own worst enemy
Even when the jury and the judge
Say you gotta right to hold a grudge
It’s the whisper in your ear saying ‘Set It Free’

Forgiveness, Forgiveness
Forgiveness, Forgiveness

Show me how to love the unlovable
Show me how to reach the unreachable
Help me now to do the impossible

Forgiveness, Forgiveness

Help me now to do the impossible
Forgiveness

It’ll clear the bitterness away
It can even set a prisoner free
There is no end to what its power can do
So, let it go and be amazed
By what you see through eyes of grace
The prisoner that it really frees is you

Forgiveness, Forgiveness
Forgiveness, Forgiveness

Show me how to love the unlovable
Show me how to reach the unreachable
Help me now to do the impossible
Forgiveness

I want to finally set it free
So show me how to see what Your mercy sees
Help me now to give what You gave to me

Forgiveness, Forgiveness



Footnote: this one is a reminder for myself. 
Embrace the dark times, they will shape who you are. Be the best you can be during these moments, don't feel sorry or mad if you are not where you want to be - keep fighting and you'll get there. Never give up on yourself. Be strong. Be kind to the special ones in your life. Be kind to those who choose to leave too. Never lose hope. And most importantly: NEVER let go of your best asset - your heart.

No comments: